During my initial days as Presales, I was afraid to handle objections. Over a period, I saw this as an opportunity so started to embrace it. But, that’s not enough. You need to master this art of objection handling. Only then there is success.
The core approach was
- Acknowledge what the client has to say
- Decode the reason behind his objections
- Empathizing always works.
- You are not alone.
- Help overcome hurdle with customer success story
Acknowledge the client
When objections are raised the first thing we do is to Defend. By doing so, we would keep intercepting the client’s thoughts. And, this would end up looked upon as being rude. It will raise doubts in the mind of the prospect about you and the service/product you offer.
Listen to all his objections and make a note of the points. Let them know you will get back once they finish.
Decode the reasons.
Objections are raised for various reasons. By listening to his objections actively, you would have the time to think, analyze and find out the reason behind it. A few reason for objections
- Price – They would not want to spend on the product as a few take pride in saving money for the organization.
- Value for Money – Here, the price is not a concern. But, they wanted to ensure that they have got the best of value for the expenses.
- Competitors – They wanted to validate whether you are better from the competitors.
- Fear to adopt or upgrade – They are comfortable with whatever process or tools they have and fear that your service or product may disrupt it.
- Risk to my job – Yes you heard it right. Some fear that they may lose their job if whatever they chose might not work.
And, many more. Readers can share other objection reasons with me.
Empathize alway work
Empathize is a critical skill in customer service. Use it at this critical junction. You are already empathizing with the client by listening to his reasons. Now, repeat what you have understood and make sure you are all on the same page. Put yourself in their place and see how they may feel. Be sincere in your efforts.
You are not alone
Now, comes the action item. Tell your client they are not alone .When you say they are not alone, you let them know that this is something common. By doing so you bring them into a comfortable zone where they open a lot. Indirectly, you have established a social proof that this is common. Also, they know you and your company have already faced such problems and they can expect an answer. The trust is built.
When it comes to product objections, tell them how your clients have found solutions to overcome these exact challenges. Propose the interesting features in your product that matches their needs or check whether a custom solution would work out for them. Try to justify, indirectly, how their features justify the cost. Share customer success stories where their ROI has been justified or how the product complemented the process.
Get prepared for more objections after our response. Try to anticipate those and cover it when you respond. Be genuine and sincere in your efforts. Don’t throw imaginary stats or stories to convince them. Share actual and relevant stories.
To summarize, dont be dismayed by objections.It is an opportunity to show the value of your product or service, and an opportunity to build relationship. Every objection is a positive sign as it your best chance to move and successfully closing the deal.
If you have missed my previous article on objection handling, here is the link